Time to wrap up the end of the year, so your new officers have a good start for 2010-2011
1. Elect and enter your new officers into the state PTA database.
2. Reconcile your membership numbers to the state totals, and get the differences paid up before the end of the year.
3. Find the Financial Review Committee. Experience in this past year should be all you need to convince you that you need to keep your finances in order. The Financial Review should be done before a new treasurer takes the books, or before your new officers sign on to the new account.
Financial Review Committee
The financial review involves an examination of the financial transactions of the PTA, and the procedures used to conduct those transactions.
The treasurer is the custodian of the funds of the PTA and is charged with the responsibility to deposit and disburse funds and to keep accurate records.
However, the board of directors has the responsibility to see that the funds of the PTA are administered properly and actions are made in the best interests of the members. To assure that this has been done, that the board acted responsibly, and that good financial practices have been followed, a financial review of the books and records must be conducted.
A financial review must be conducted:
• Immediately following the end of the fiscal year (June 30th) in compliance with WSPTA Uniform Bylaws.
• When a new PTA member assumes the treasurer position;
• Whenever there is a question about the financial wellbeing or performance of the PTA.
Who can perform the Financial Review?
The WSPTA Uniform Bylaws are very specific in defining who can conduct a financial review of the PTA’s books and records. Page 10 Article 5 Section 7 Duties of Officers “treasurer” (e) (2)
…………close the books on June 30 and submit the books and records for financial review to a financial review committee of no fewer than three (3) members appointed by the president or to a qualified accountant. The financial review committee shall not include the people who were authorized to sign or individuals living within the same household as those authorized to sign on the bank account for the period being reviewed;
For questions, your can refer to the WSPTA Leadership Handbook- Money Matters section page 14 and 15. The Financial Review check list can be found on pages 34-37. Or contact your Region Director.
Congratulations to Eric Yu from Chinook Middle School for earning an Award of Excellence at the National PTA Reflections 2009-10 Competition!
As you have probably heard, Robinswood has lost its accreditation for next year. As a result, it will be closed. The school district is working on a plan to create a new alternative program that will better serve our students who are struggling to succeed, but that plan will not be in place in time for the 2010-2011 school year. Until then, the current Robinswood students will either be moved back to their home schools, or they could move to one of the high schools. The situation will be discussed at the June 1st School Board meeting.
For more information, go to the Bellevue School District website, www.bsd405.org.
Please comment if you have more information, or just want to express your thoughts and ideas.
The 3rd annual Summer Opportunities Fair will be held on Wednesday, May 12, from 6-8 pm at Interlake. The fair is open to all. The Parent Action and Advisory Committee is providing interpreters for speakers of Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Korean and Vietnamese.
1. Summer Teen Classes, Lake Washington Technical College, Redmond Campus (Bopha Cheng)
2. Camp Hamilton (Catholic church sponsored camp) (Megan Raymond)
3. Summer Advantage Program, Washington State University (Kara Lindberg)
4. Phoenix Rising Academy: Horses Helping Girls Heal
5. Lake Washington Technical College summer program
6. Explore! Summer Band Camp*
7. Seattle Children’s Theatre
8. Bellevue School District, Middle and High School Summer School , Operation Exploration, ESL
9. Mad Science
10. Julie's ArtClass
11. Seattle Community Care, therapeutic camp
12. Ryther Child Center
13. NOAA Science Camp
14. Lake Hills Soccer Club
15. Spanish Academy
This Blog will contain news about Council Events or other inforamtion of interest in the district. If you have information to add to the Blog, please email the webmaster at email@example.com